This is the “Gold Standard” treatment for the removal of spider thread veins on the legs. It involves individual injections of a sclerosing solution into each vein that needs to be removed. The sclerosing solution causes the vein to shrink and seal itself off, after which the body will dispose it of naturally.
At Anti-Ageing Aesthetics we use Fibrovein, the only sclerosing agent licensed in the UK. Ensuring patients safety and optimal results.
Multiple treatment sessions may be required for complete removal of spider veins. Most patients can expect at least a 70%-80% improvement in the appearance of their legs.
It takes usually 3-4 months to achieve a maximum benefit may and perfection cannot be guaranteed.
You are not suitable for this treatment if you have varicose veins, this would need a surgical review initially before we can treat.
Your appointment will take around 30-60 minute. We ask that you attend wearing shorts, making your legs accessible. Whilst lying down on the treatment bed, very fine needles are used to inject a solution called Fibrovein into the spider veins. We will start from the ankle and work our way up the leg, we can only use 10mls a sessions. The solution irritates the lining of the vein, causing the two opposing sides to seal together and naturally your body will dispose of it. Your compression stocking must be applied before you get off the bed and you will take a 10 minute walk after your treatment.
No, some slight stinging in certain areas.
- If possible, please refrain from aspirin for 7 days before your treatment. However if your under instruction to take then continue.
- Avoid sun exposure and tanning for 4 weeks before and after your treatment, this will reduce your risk of developing hyperpigmentation.
- Do not apply lotions, creams or oils, shave or wax your legs 24 hours prior to the appointment. Please make sure in the run up to the treatment that your legs are well hydrated.
- Wear loose fitting clothes and shorts for the appointment.
- You are required to purchase compressions socks and bring them to every appointment.
- You cannot fly for 2 weeks. If the flight is more than 4 hours 6 weeks prior to holiday is required or if less than 4 hours 2 weeks is satisfactory.
- Take a 10 minute walk immediately after your treatment
- It is suggested that support hosiery is worn for 72 hours day and night post treatment, only removing to shower or bath.
- The treated areas may look worse when you remove the hosiery – this is completely normal at this stage.
- Wear the hosiery during the day for a further 5 – 7 days, removing overnight.
- Avoid extremes of temperature for 14 days i.e. very hot baths, saunas, sun beds, icepacks.
- Avoid sun exposure for 4 weeks – pigmentation may be enhanced and take longer to fade.
- Avoid high impact exercise for at least 2 weeks.
- Avoid waxing of the legs for 4 weeks. Waxing can increase the occurrence of thread veins.
- Elevate your legs as much as possible for the first two weeks.
- Consider wearing long term compression hosiery to reduce the appearance of thread veins.
- Do not forget to bring your support hosiery with you to your next treatment session
Compression stockings are an essential part of treatment, as they:
- Reduce pigmentation
- Reduce the number of treatment sessions needed
- Reduce the risk of deep vein thrombosis
- Reduce the frequency of recurrence
Usually the veins look worse before they start to look better and improvement is usually seen in a couple of weeks. Mostly 6 – 12 weeks may be needed to show the maximum effect.
The following symptoms are expected, they are not a cause for concern although they should be reported at review:
Mild pain or discomfort may persist for several days and indicates the injections are working. The degree of discomfort is mostly related to the size of the treated veins and can be relieved by walking or by taking Paracetamol or Ibuprofen. Rubbing from the stocking can sometimes create soreness behind the knee.
Tender lumps and discolorations are usually experienced early on and resolve themselves with time.
Red raised areas over treated veins are due to “trapped blood” and usually disappear within four to six weeks. At the first review (two weeks after the treatment) these areas may be pricked to release the trapped blood. It is a common symptom that happens as part of treatment and is a sign that treatment has been successful.
Phlebitis, or inflammation of the treated veins, can occur due to a reaction to the injected solution. It is treated by further compression, anti-inflammatory medication and regular walking. It does not represent infection and does not require treatment with antibiotics.
Migraines may be provoked by the injection solution in patients who are known migraine sufferers. These patients should take their usual migraine treatment an hour or so prior to treatment in order to prevent the onset of a migraine.
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT). A blood clot can form and extend into the deep veins. The risk is less than 1:2000 and this potentially serious complication is very uncommon if the protocol of compression and regular daily walking is followed.
Although DVT post procedure is most uncommon, we can refer our patients to the Vein Specialist to perform Duplex scans to exclude this complication.
- Swelling of the leg or ankle (2:100) This is a temporary symptom and is due to inflammation related to the injected fluid.
- Hyper Pigmentation (1:10) Brown marks may appear near or along a treated vein and are due to hemosiderin, a form of iron from the blood. Most discolorations disappear within 3-12 months but in about 5% of patients, this can persist over 12 months. This is of cosmetic importance only and persistent pigmentation can be treated with laser or chemical peels.
- Nerve injury (3:1000) Irritation of surface sensory nerves rarely occurs and will disappear within a few weeks.
- Skin ulceration occurs because solution has escaped into the surrounding skin or because of an abnormal connection between small veins and arteries. Most ulcers are small and heal over a few weeks, leaving sometimes a small pale scar.
Highly recommend Sarah, very professional and a perfectionist, she will see what suits you and wont let you get carried away x
Really gentle and pain free!!! Thank u for makin me feel hot again!!! X deffo wud recommend xx
Fantastic fully trained nurse who gives an excellent and confidential service who demonstrates in-depth clinical knowledge and who in an expert in her field
Excellent results and very professional. I highly recommend Sarah x
Excellent and very professional service, would highly recommend Sarah
Perfect, pain free and reasonable costs. Will definitely use again and recommend to others. Thank you xx
Thank you so pleased with my results I not only feel 10 years younger apparently I look it too!!! Definitely recommend you and will be using you again
Amazing results and very professional… highly recommend xx
Wow what excellent results from my treatment, had 1ml of juvederm vobella in my lips and couldn’t be happier with the outcome. What a big difference they have made without looking unnatural. And Sarah is very professional and can highly recommend Anti-Aging Aesthetics to make you look and feel fab